An iconic sour beet soup, this Borscht recipe is many generations old, passed down over the years.
- 6 cups water
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 cup green peas or green beans
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 1 small head of cabbage
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- While the potatoes are boiling, prep the other vegetables – peel & chop the carrots, chop the celery, slice the cabbage into thin strips & cut into smaller pieces, and dice the onions.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from pot with slotted spoon (do not discard the water). Mash together with 2 tbsp butter and 1/3 of the canned tomatoes.
- Turn the heat on the pot up to medium-high. Add the carrots, celery, peas, 1/2 the onions, 1/2 the cabbage, 1/2 the potato/tomato mixture, and 1/2 of the remaining tomatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tbsp of butter then add the remaining onions. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until translucent (do not brown them). Add the remaining potato/tomato mixture and tomatoes. Cook another 5 min then add to the pot.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in the skillet, and add the remaining half of the cabbage. Cook until soft, but do not brown, approximately 10 min. Add to the pot.
- Add fresh dill to the soup, season with salt & pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes. Ladle into bowls. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or drizzle of heavy cream if desired. Enjoy!
More Featured Recipes: Pumpkin Miso Soup and Turkey Avocado Brie Sandwich